School Councils are established under the Education Act 1958. As the body responsible for governance and the broad direction of Williamstown High, the School Council has significant responsibility.
School Council is responsible for the school curriculum policy, within the requirements of the DET guidelines and plays a key role in Victorian government schools. Participating as a School Council member is a rewarding and challenging experience. The School Council supports the Principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
WHS School Council has members drawn from the staff, the parent body and the general community. School Council positions are occupied for two-years at a time and elections are held early each year with half elected in Term 1 every year. If you have something to offer the school in management and leadership, please consider putting your name forward – but be mindful of the obligation!
School Council meets at least eight times a year, usually twice a term on a designated Tuesday evening from 6-8pm. Every councillor is also a member of one of three active Council sub-committees – Education Policy, Facilities and Environment and Finance. The sub-committees also meet about eight times a year. Councillors are asked to fulfil various tasks and to bring themselves, their ideas, their experience and their networks to these meetings.
Members of the community who don’t want to stand for School Council are welcome to join any of the sub-committees and attend those meetings. It’s a great way to learn how the school’s governance works.
To know more about School Council and how it operates at Williamstown High School, please contact the President or the Principal Gino Catalano. The Department website has more background on School Councils and how they operate.
School Council President
Executive Officer: Gino Catalano
- Katrina McFerran (President)
- Sally Hicks (Vice President)
- Kane Harnden (Treasurer)
- Jon Court
- Matt Clarkson
- Jake Mansfield
DET Employee members:
- Gino Catalano (Principal)
- Sophia Marsden-Smith
- Julian McCarthy
- Jesse Craig
- Julie Taylor
- Bella Bunny
- Connor De Petro
Executive Secretary: Rosemary Hyman
Role of School Council
- The school’s general educational policy and establish the broad direction and vision of the school within the school’ community.
- Participate in the development, monitoring and endorsement of the School’s Strategic Plan and Annual Implementation Plan.
- Reporting annually to the school community.
- Approving and monitoring the school budget.
- Developing the student code of conduct.
- Awarding contracts for the supply of goods and services.
- Uniform code.
- Maintenance of buildings and grounds.
If you would like to contact School Council, please email Katrina.McFerran@education.vic.gov.au