The Department of Education and Training (DET) provides guidance through the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations. At Williamstown High School, students are enrolled according to the Placement Policy’s Priority Order of Placement, which has five criteria:
- Students for whom the school is the designated neighbourhood school. Our school zone is available on https://www.findmyschool.vic.gov.au You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under school zones. Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
- Students with a sibling at the same permanent address who are attending the school at the same time.
- Where the Regional Director has restricted the enrolment.
- Students seeking enrolment on specific curriculum grounds.*
- All other students in order of closeness of their permanent residential address to the school.
- A letter outlining the rationale behind the student seeking enrolment on curriculum grounds MUST be attached to the Application for Year 7 Placement form.
Please note that we must ensure that all applicants eligible under a criterion have been offered a place before moving to consideration of the next.
In exceptional circumstances, a student may be enrolled based on compassionate grounds. This is an overarching consideration and does not form part of the priority order of placement. We are permitted to assess and make a determination for exceptional circumstances applications on a case-by-case basis. Your child’s primary school should assist with this application.
Please click here to view the Year 7 2022 important dates timeline.
Enquiries can be made to;
Rachel Roberts, Transition Coordinator
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 9399 9228
Selected Entry Accelerated Learning Program (SEALP)
We provide a Select Entry Accelerated Learning Program
for students who have exceptional academic ability. Once students have accepted their offer of enrolment at Williamstown High School, via the Department’s Priority Order of Placement, they will be invited to sit for the SEAL program. Selection is based on competitive testing and
an interview process. As a member of The Academy of Accredited SEAL Schools (TAASS) we maintain the tradition and high standards of like-minded students developing academically, socially and emotionally.
We provide opportunities for SEAL students to accelerate through secondary school and to undertake challenging learning experiences, which are tailored to deliver outstanding academic achievement.
– We emphasis higher order thinking and independent learning and research.
– Our curriculum is compacted so the mainstream Year 7 – 10 program is covered in a 3-year period via a comprehensive and specific SEAL Program.
– Enrichment is provided by broadening content, understanding, experience and skills to a level appropriate to the students’ proximal zone of development.
– Extension leads to in depth study and the integration and application of knowledge at a higher level.
– Students begin to undertake VCE units at Year 10 in order to maximise flexibility, depth and breadth in their VCE program.
– Exemplary students may have an opportunity to complete a first year university subject in Year 12.
Enquiries can be made to;
Liz Lorenc, SEAL Program Coordinator
Email: Liz.Lorenc@education.vic.gov.au Phone: 9399 9228