PROSPECTIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Williamstown High School was established in 1915 and today it is one of Victoria’s oldest and most distinguished secondary schools. The student population at Williamstown High School in 2016 is 1470, with over 700 students at each campus. The international student population is located wholly on the Senior School at the Pasco Street Campus. The international students come from many different countries with a diversity of traditions and cultural values that Williamstown High School celebrates and embraces. There are currently 40 international students, coming from a broad range of countries. Our students are currently from China, Germany, Vietnam, Denmark, Italy, France, Indonesia and England.
Williamstown High school has two school campuses. The Pasco Street campus is the original school and is now used as the senior campus teaching years 10, 11 and 12. This campus is less than 50 metres from the Williamstown Beach railway train station; the local bus route is also nearby. The school is only a 5 minute walk to the Williamstown town centre where there is an extensive shopping area including many banks, a supermarket, travel agencies, restaurants, library, post office etc. The city of Melbourne is only 25 minutes from the school by train. The other campus is located on Bayview Street and is used as the Middle school campus teaching years 7, 8 and 9.
At Williamstown High school we have a number of students from different countries studying in Years 10, 11, and 12. Some of these students are here for a brief 3 to 6 month exchange program; others are here for the full three years and continue onto university. For specific information regarding the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program please visit the DET International Education Division website at http://www.study.vic.gov.au/
- School Information – Chinese 2016
- School Information – German 2016
- School Information – Vietnamese 2016
To enrol as a student at Williamstown High School, an application must be made at the Victorian Government Schools International Student Program which is run by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD).
- Apply online at http://www.study.vic.gov.au/ or through your local agent.
- If interested in applying to Williamstown High School, indicate that we are your first preference school.
- A number of required information (including past academic transcripts) will be needed with the application.
- Complete the application process as indicted on the Study Victoria website and if successful, we will be in contact to prepare for student arrival.
Our International Student Program is responsible for the general welfare and well-being of our overseas students, while t
he school offers secure and comfortable homestay, orientation programs, pastoral care, career counselling and english support. Pastoral care and student welfare is of vital importance to Williamstown High School and support structures are integrated throughout all areas of school life. This contributes to a learning environment that is safe and comfortable and where individual needs are recognised and addressed. Year 10 at Williamstown High School is closely linked to the VCE years with access to all the Key Learning Areas. By matching Year 10 and VCE subject blocks, Year 10 students can undertake a range of VCE units. This structure provides students with an extensive choice of program in Year 10 and allows them to specialise in their areas of interest. Throughout Year 10 students undertake extensive career and course counselling where they are encouraged to take appropriate courses of study from a full range of subjects.
At Williamstown High School International Program, we are able to offer the following:
- Full-time international program coordinator
- Part-time international program staff including a Chinese translator/interpreter
- Arrival support (including airport pickup)
- Orientation program
- Visa advice (including applications)
- Lockers and padlocks are provided
- Assistance with daily living needs including purchasing a mobile number, opening bank accounts, assistance with learning how to use our public transport system, organising and joining various activities in Melbourne and etc.
- Course selection advice
- Career counselling
- University application assistance and advice
- Homestay accommodation
- Opportunity to attend extra-curricular activities including school camps, theatre, music programs, variety of sports.
- Opportunity to join a variety of school clubs including Chess, Art, Literature, Breakfast and Gamers.
The year 11 and 12 VCE curriculum has a broad range of subjects for students to choose from. Some of the subjects are:
- Business Management
- Global Politics
- Design Technology
- Health and Human Development
- English Language
- English as an Additional Language
- VET Sport and Fitness
- Food Technology
- Higher Mathematics
- Studio Arts
- Visual Communication & Design
- Music Performance
Additional languages can be organised as part of VCE through the Victorian School of Languages (VSL) including Chinese and Vietnamese.
Class sizes do not exceed 25 students. Williamstown High School has an excellent record of students obtaining their first choice to university, TAFE or employment, with a university acceptance rate substantially higher than the State average. In addition, students have access to a range of courses as part of the Vocational Education and Training (VET ) Program through which they can acquire TAFE qualifications as part of their VCE. In 2015, 100% of international students successfully completed their VCE examinations. All were admitted to Australian universities to study courses including finance, commerce and engineering.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via phone or email.
International Program Coordinator
76 Pasco Street
Williamstown VIC 3016 Austraila
Tel: (+61) 3 9397 1899
Mobile: 0467 807 949
State of Victoria, Department of Education and Training
CRICOS Provider Code: 00861K