Humanities involves the study of human societies and environments, people and their cultures in the past and the present. Humanities provides a framework for developing in students the key ideas and concepts that enable them to understand the way in which people and societies have organised their world under particular conditions and made meaning of it.
Humanities encourages the use of research skills and inquiry processes. Students learn to plan an investigation and ask key questions. They question and analyse a range of data and sources including artefacts, photographs, maps, stories, special events, interviews, site visits and electronic media. They form conclusions supported by evidence and present information in a variety of ways.
The Humanities discipline is organised into three areas:
The Humanities Faculty at Williamstown High School offers a vibrant and highly engaging program.
The disciplines of History, Geography and Economics are taught over the first three terms of the year, with the final term of the year dedicated to an integrated unit on a topical environmental issue.
Some topics taught at Williamstown High School include:
- World Fisheries – an examination of the effects of over-fishing
- Medieval History – an examination of the life and times of the Middle Ages
- The Coffee Industry – an examination of the coffee industry and poverty
- Antarctica – a geographic study of the coldest region in the world and its unique marine life
As well as an invigorating curriculum, the Humanities faculty offer an extensive extra curricula program. Past extra curricula activities have included:
- Medieval Incursion – a day of medieval madness where performers visit the school for the day and transform it into medieval mayhem
- Sovereign Hill – Gold in them thar Hills! Students studying year nine have spent a day at Sovereign Hill to compliment their Australian history studies
- IMAX Sensation – Year eight students studying Antarctica have viewed an enthralling film on the epic journey of Earnest Shackleton
- The Humanities Faculty at Williamstown High School offers students a diverse range of opportunities to powerfully immerse themselves into the study of the world around us.